Monday, January 3, 2011

Having fun isn't hard, when you've got a library card!

I started a book club in November and it's been so nice to read with the knowledge that I'd be able to get together with friends and discuss the book. It's much more satisfying, and it challenges me to pay more attention to my books.

The first book we tackled is The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's a real-life tale of her childhood years and how she and her siblings overcame their parents' weaknesses and managed to grow up not insane.

In December we read The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I basically devoured this book. I could not put it down. Edwards writes a fictional story (based on popular beliefs in the 70s) about a family unknowingly torn apart by down syndrome.

If you're interested in joining the book club, please do! We meet in person as well as via Facebook (for those who are unable to attend in person). We have yet to pick our book for January, but we've entertained the Hunger Games series as well as a fantasy book by Edit Pattou entitled East. If you've recently come across a book you love, or would like to read then do share. We're open to all sorts of genres as a means of keeping the book club diverse and interesting.

But please please please do not suggest the Wheel of Time series. Kev adores it but I couldn't get through the first half of the first book (but I did go with him to a book release party, so I'm a supportive wife).

No comments: