Thursday, July 14, 2011

You gotta do what you gotta do.

I just devoured Girl in Translation yesterday. I mean that literally. I picked it up from the library around 2, and by midnight I'd finished it. I read while Aspen napped, and then got really serious after she went to bed.

Jean Kwok used a lot of her own life experiences to write this novel, and I'm just amazed at what immigrants go through in order to make a life for themselves in America. Although I sometimes daydream about up and leaving my city, I never think about relocating to a new country where everything is foreign to me.

An element of the book I liked a lot was the use of Chinese phrases- like, the literal translations of what would have been said between Kimberly and her family/friends/coworkers. It's so hilarious how things come across the cultural barrier.

For easy summer reading, definitely read this book.

No comments: