Monday, January 10, 2011

"Providing security through blankets."

When Aspen was born, she was sent almost immediately to the neonatal intensive care unit. It was hard to be away from her, and her Daddy didn't even get to hold her until hours after she was born.

Aspen is very fortunate because she didn't suffer from anything serious, and was released from NICU just over 24 hours after she was born. But we still got a Project Linus blankie. Project Linus is an organization that offers blankets to children in need and it's been around since 1995. On their website you can also get access to free blanket patterns (another reason I should learn to use the sewing machine Kev just got from his mom!). Aspen's blankie is simple, but it's special to me. It was there to cradle her when she was hooked up to tubes and monitors and she had to be all alone.

Sometimes when I can't get my little one to settle down, I pull out her Linus blankie. I'm so grateful that when I couldn't be with my baby, she had wonderful nurses and the handiwork of Linus volunteers to comfort and care for her.

If you have a minute, check out the Project Linus website and consider what you could donate to the National Headquarters or to your local chapter. Babies need lovies and you can help!

No comments: