Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Man on Wire

Kev asked me to watch Man on Wire with him this week. I had no idea what it was about when I sat down to paint my nails and watch the show with him. I thought it was about rock climbing. The obscure title threw me.

First of all, it's not a rock climbing movie. Second of all, it has a significant amount of French subtitles, so choosing to paint my nails was a bad idea. Although I can pick up a lot of French vocab (I studied for three years in college) I am no good at stringing all that vocab together to understand everything by ear.

Regardless of missing some of the comments in the movie, I still loved it. I love French. I love their accents. I loved the idea of Phillipe's life, even though I don't love his reckless view of life and death.





To Philippe, it's just like breathing. As a circus performer he is comfortable with crowds and heights and feats unimaginable to many. But the fact that he can just write off a fall from 1/4 of a mile like it's no big deal astonishes me. Completing that dream of his changed him forever. He became someone instead of just a tightrope walker. He fulfilled a dream he'd schemed since he was 17 years old.

How many of us can say the same? What were you dreaming of at 17? Are you where you thought you would be?

No comments: